Privacy of Student Records


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution.) These rights include:

1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days after the day Wade College receives a request for access. A student should submit to the Office of the Registrar a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Office of the Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. 

3. The right to provide written consent before the college discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Consent must be in writing and specify the records to be released, the reasons for such release, and to whom the information is to be released. Personal information shall be transferred to a third party outside of the college only on the condition that such a party will not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student. The third party is expected to adhere to the FERPA guidelines upon receipt of this information. The college shall include with any information released, a written statement which informs the receiver of the information and conditions of disclosure. 

4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Wade College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Directory information regarding the student will be provided to the public upon request unless the student files a request in the Office of the Registrar asking to be excluded from the directory or from any other request for open directory information from outside entities. The request should be submitted prior to the 12th class day of each new trimester.

A request to withhold information may be submitted after the stated deadline, but information may be released between the deadline and receipt of the request. The file of a student who has asked to be excluded from the directory information will remain flagged until the student requests that the flag be removed.

Directory information consists of a student’s full name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, classification, participation in officially recognized activities, dates of attendance, degrees, and awards received, the last educational agency or institution attended previous to Wade College, and photograph.

Wade College will disclose information from a student’s educational records only with the written consent of the student, except:

• To school officials who have a legitimate educational interest in the records. A school official is a person employed by Wade College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including third-party law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Wade College who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the Wade College.

• To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.

• To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U. S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the institution’s state-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal- or state-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf.

• In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid.

• To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction.

• To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions.

• To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes.

• To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.

• To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency.

• Information the school has designated as “directory information.”

• To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.

• To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. 

• To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. 

Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures.

For any other information regarding the college’s policy on access to records and to request accessibility to college records, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Back to top